Saturday, January 6, 2024

Equipping the Saints: Fifty Years of Lectures and Articles by David L. Lipe


Equipping the Saints: Fifty Years of Lectures and Articles

by David L. Lipe



This is the first in what I hope to be in a series of books published by Stewart Publications. It would be a wonderful resource to have collected lectures and articles by certain members of our brotherhood. David Lipe has an A.A. from Freed-Hardeman University, B. A. from Harding University, M. A. from Harding School of Theology, and a Ph. D. from the University of Tennessee. He has both lectured and directed lectureships for several years including the Freed-Hardeman University Lectureship which he directed for 22 years. He has also worked with the South East Institute of Biblical Studies. He continues to teach and preach which he has also done for many years. I have watched him navigate the Open Forum with the Moderator and the audience. Even when frustration occurs, he makes the situation humorous and diffuses matters that may become rather tense.
 
My father always enjoyed hearing brother Lipe’s presentations, and I quickly shared that appreciation too. I have read some of his writings, commentary, and have heard him lecture on more than one occasion. I have never been disappointed listening to brother Lipe whether it would be a funny anecdote or his analysis of a passage or topic. His humor and scholarship both come through in the pages of this work.

When I sat with him to request his signature on my copy, he asked me how he wanted me to address the book. I gave him my name tag and said, “Here is how you spell my first name.” He just paused, looked at me with his trademark perplexed expression, and laughed. He is always very cordial and friendly. It is my pleasure to recommend this work to you not just because I enjoy visiting and hearing him, but the content is solid and profitable.

The book is packed with over 600 pages of articles arranged topically, but there is also a detailed bibliography with the listing chronologically too. The topics include: God, The Word of God, Jesus, Evangelism and Salvation, Faith, the Church, Worship, Christian Ethics, Eschatology, and others. When I went to the lectures at Freed-Hardeman University in 2023, this work was just becoming available and it was immediately on my list of books to purchase. It would make an excellent addition to the church library. The lectures and articles are written in such a way that everyone can profit and enjoy reading this book. He includes a final article that all would do well to read called “Take Care of Your Own Dent” that I particularly enjoyed. I salute Stewart Publications for making this available to the brotherhood, and I hope there are subsequent volumes from other scholars to come.

Originally printed in the West Virginia Christian, Vol. 30, No. 4, April 2023, p. 8. Reprinted by permission.

No comments: