Saturday, January 1, 2022

New Testament Commentary by Wayne Jackson

 

New Testament Commentary by Wayne Jackson

Perhaps one of the more anticipated volumes among preachers is a commentary on the whole New Testament; however, there are many commentaries on the whole Bible, Old Testament, New Testament, or individual books of the Bible. What makes this particular commentary so anticipated by several preachers is the scholar doing the commenting!

Some have a negative view of commentaries regardless of who has written it. They tend to think that somehow commentaries are on the same level as a creed; however, such is not the case at all. Some creeds certainly provide commentary on the Bible; however, creeds include a level of imposing authority that is missing from a commentary. No, commentaries are not Creeds, Confessions of Faith, Articles of Faith, etc.

I often explain that a commentary is only as good as the one doing the commenting! If I have a really difficult question relating to the Bible that I just cannot figure out from the resources I possess, then I have written to brother Jackson and asked. Sometimes he gives me a direct response, sometimes he will forward me an article he has written, or sometimes he refers me to a book that might help my study. If I value his studious mind from years of disciplined study, then why would I be opposed to having his thoughts pertaining to the comments in book form arranged according to verses of the Bible? Generally, a commentary is a person’s (or group’s) thoughts on a given passage arranged in order of book, chapter, and verse. Is there a difference between asking a question and getting an answer from a preacher or reading his answer in written form? No. Again, it depends on who is doing the answering/writing.

Of course, writing a commentary on any book of the Bible is an ambitious task, but to write a commentary on the entire New Testament is quite a formidable project. It is why I laughed out loud when I read brother Wayne’s statement in the Preface: “After chastising myself more than once for embarking upon such a daunting project, I threw myself into the delightful enterprise, laboring for long days, week after week, until I finished with the draft a few days under a year.” Brother Wayne plans to continue writing his commentary series on the Old Testament. We pray that the Lord extends his life to where he can enjoy the satisfaction of completing this project!

As Editor of the Christian Courier since 1964, brother Wayne has published it monthly, plus books, which have benefited many in our brotherhood. The web site ChristianCourier.com has been a blessing to many looking for solid and balanced answers to a host of religious questions whether for personal study or to share with others. Brother Wayne has freely shared with us the fruits of his scholarly study for years. Of course, books cost money, so we need to be willing to support sound writing if we want to have such for the future. I hesitate to use the word “brief” in describing this commentary. I prefer to use the word “concise” instead. It is arranged by the books of the New Testament and verses are organized around major points in outline format. Each book of the New Testament has an introduction including authorship, date, purpose, etc.

Be sure to obtain a copy of this volume for the church library and for your personal study before it goes out of print!

**Note** Since the printing of this book review, A New Testament Commentary has sold through its first two editions. It is now available in the third edition in hardback format.

Originally printed in the West Virginia Christian, Vol. 24, No. 8, August 2017, p. 8. Reprinted by permission.

No comments: