Wednesday, October 9, 2019

A FAMINE OF THE WORD! By James E. Farley


A FAMINE OF THE WORD!
By James E. Farley

I love to read the Word of God,
To learn of Truth and Right,
To meditate upon His law,
By day and then by night.
(Psalm 1:2)

O Lord the Psalmist said it true;
Thy words indeed are sweet.
They serve as a light unto my path;
a lamp unto my feet.
(Psalm 119:103-105)

I read from Paul, and all the rest. . .
From Peter, James and John.
I thrill to read of godliness,
and of that Great Beyond!
(Ephesians 3:3-5; Titus 2:11-12; 2 Peter 1:3; John 14:1-4)

I love to read from godly men
who write with godly sense;
From men like Woods, and Milligan,
McGarvey and from Brents.
(2 Timothy 2:2)

I read from “Tabernacle” talks
in Nashville, Tennessee,
And how so many people came
To listen and be free.
(John 8:31-32; Romans 6:16-18)
I read from men like Boles and Lard,
Calhoun, and Jacob Creath,
These men, and so many more,
Sat oft at Jesus’ feet.
(Luke 8:35)

They studied God’s Word so diligently,
To lead the erring home.
To grow in grace and knowledge too
In order to be strong!
(2 Timothy 2:15; 2 Peter 3:18; Ephesians 6:10-18)

A famine now has come to pass;
Have you not seen nor heard?
Not a famine of water or food. . .
But a famine of the Word!
(Amos 8:11)

Many who should understand
Have left the gospel’s call.
They now drink deep from sectarian wells;
From Stanley and Swindoll !!!
(Ephesians 5:17; I Timothy 4:1-3; I John 2:19)

Lucado, Cope, and Shelly too. . .
Lieutenants of this ilk,
No longer preach the sincere Truth. . .
No longer seek the milk.
(2 Timothy 4:1-4; I Peter 2:2)

They seek a wider fellowship. . .
One with the sects so vain,
Who teach for Truth the laws of men
Exchanging God for gain.
(I John 1:5-7; Matthew 15:7-13; Romans 10:1-3;
I Timothy 6:5-6; 2 Peter 2:3)

These no longer abide in Truth,
They’ve left for other fields.
No more are they servants for Christ,
No more the Sword they wield ! ! !
(2 John 9-11; Ephesians 6:17)

No more are they as one with us,
The difference clear and stark!
“Avoid them!” is the command that’s giv’n. . .
These should receive the mark!!!
(Romans 16:17-18)

Surprise? Oh no…not us you see. . .
We knew it from the start.
God’s Word is clear upon this point.
Tis clear. . . “some shall depart.”
(I Timothy 4:1-3)

Our hearts are sad to know some leave -
No more to preach reform.
Their ears? They turn them from the Truth,
And sound doctrine will not endure.
(Philippians 3:18; 2 Timothy 4:1-4)

But still we walk within God’s Light,
Continue in His Word. . .
We preach the Truth, stand for the Right,
Till all the world has heard.
(I John 1:7; John 8:31-32; 2 John 4, 6; 3 John 3, 4; Mark 16:15)

And then one day, when all is done,
Before His throne we’ll stand.
To give account for how we’ve lived,
And then…that crown so grand!!!
(2 Corinthians 5:10; 2 Timothy 4:6-8)



Used by permission of James Edward Farley, 10/08/2019

No comments: