Monday, July 21, 2014

Bully Pulpit Golf Course


Recently, my family and I traveled, via rented car, from Ohio to Washington to attend a graduation of a very special niece of ours. 

I was delighted to see a sign for the "Bully Pulpit Golf Course" and attempted to take a picture of the road sign for it. Unfortunately, I did not capture the shot just right, but that is what Google Pictures is for!  So, hopefully someone won't mine me using their picture.

Those who are unfamiliar with American History may incorrectly assume that the use of the term "bully" is the thug type person who terrorizes others as the only definition of the term.  That is an incorrect assumption.  (I have been the victim at the hands of bullies myself.)  The term "Bully Pulpit" is actually from Theodore Roosevelt.  He used the term "bully" quite a bit which meant "superb", "excellent", "very good", etc.  Sometimes you will hear the Press speak of the President using his "Bully Pulpit" to get his message out to the people directly without having to go through Congress or other "handlers".    So, the title of my blog, The Bully Pulpit, refers to religious books I review which are superb and my personal web site, or blog, which is my "pulpit" of sorts.  Some have suggested that I should change the name to help correct the misunderstanding.  With all due kindness, I would rather they asked so I could explain.  Maybe it will give rise to some natural curiosity to learn more about American History.  Not necessarily a bad thing!

I also found this link for more information for you golf enthusiasts out there:

http://www.lewisandclarkgolftrail.com/GolfCourses/BullyPulpitGolfCourse/tabid/81/Default.aspx

Bully!

Thanks for reading!

David

No comments: