Thursday, January 1, 2015

Paul Austin McGregor, Sr. -- Semper Fidelis

Warren F. Kenney, Paul McGregor, Charles Brewer & Basil Overton
 at the Nashville School of Preaching

Paul McGregor and Baby James enjoying television together.

Attended the funeral today of one of my father's dear friends, Paul Austin McGregor, Sr.  Dad and Paul were classmates together at the Nashville School of Preaching and graduated together in 1970.  Dad remarked that Paul looks ageless because he looked old when he came to school.  They dearly loved one another.  Paul was instrumental in helping me come to Mount Vernon, Ohio to preach once a month for several months before the church hired Rick Tincher to work with them on a full time basis. I can still remember him and his love for Braunschweiger.  He told me "that's the stuff", and I thought it was the stuff they refuse to put into hot dogs!  I am sure the Braunchweiger Company will miss him too!

Rick Tincher asked me to say a few words at Paul's funeral.  Here are my impromptu remarks:

Paul McGregor was, as Rick Tincher so well characterized him, as tough as nails.  I could not imagine Paul being as Rick told me "as weak as a cat", but those days come upon us sometimes before we are prepared.  Paul McGregor was a WW2 United States Marine, and we know their slogan is Semper Fi which means "Always Faithful".  Paul was that and more.  Paul was faithful to his country, to his wife Betty, to his family, to the church and to his Lord.  Jesus said in Revelation 2:10, "Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life." Paul has received his crown!  Semper Fidelis!  We will miss him greatly.


Obituary:
Paul Austin McGregor Sr., age 93, of Mount Vernon, passed away on Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at his home surrounded by his loving family. He was born on July 6, 1921 in Shelby, Ohio the son of Alfred and Manna (Rummel) McGregor. After graduation Paul worked for Ohio Steel Tube and the Shelby Ice Plant before serving in the United States Marines during World War II.
Upon returning from the war, Paul and his wife Betty continued to work on the family dairy farm until 1968 when he decided to enter into the missionary field. He attended the School of Preaching in Nashville, Tennessee from 1968 to 1970 before serving as a missionary in Scotland from 1970 to 1973. Paul retired in 1989 after serving as minister of the Eastside Church of Christ for over 19 years.
He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Betty (Stewart) McGregor whom he married on December 20, 1949, his four children, Howard (Donna) McGregor of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Donna (Jamie Ervin) Riggan of Columbus, Linda (Gary) Bailey of Hamilton and Paul McGregor Jr. of Mount Vernon, eight grandchildren and ten great grandchildren.
Besides his parents he was preceded in death by four sisters, two brothers and a grandson, Paul J. McGregor.
Friends may call on Monday from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Flowers-Snyder Funeral Home where a funeral service will be held on Tuesday at 11a.m. Friends may call one hour prior to the service. Mr. Rick Tincher will be officiating. Burial will follow in Zion Cemetery near Butler.

The video played at the funeral can be viewed here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul was my loving father and my hero. My memories go back to my childhood on the farm. He tought me many skills and was how to use my common sense. The most important thing he tought me was reading the bible and to know Jesus Christ was the son of God. Along with this the love of myself and others. My father was my inspiration and he loved his family and went without so others could have what they needed. He helped many people. He tought me how to work. I miss him so much! I also know he is at peace with his lord and savior. There was no better man on this earth for me to have as my father. I love you dad and until we meet again you are always in my heart!