Sunday, January 18, 2015

Dear Audrey by David R. Kenney



Dear Audrey
(January 27, 1921 - January 10, 2015)



While I was ready to leave the house to go visit Audrey Roth in the hospital, the call came from home that dad had just passed away.  While I anxiously desired to go see her, I instantly knew now I could not.  The decision was not based on the need to rush to my parents’ home.  No, the decision was instantaneous because I knew the first words out of Audrey’s mouth when she saw my face would be “How is your dad?”  I just could not bring those crushing words to her because she dearly loved my father.  I just could not.

I have often said that you do not meet a 93 year old Christian lady like Audrey Roth every day.  You may meet a 93 year old lady, but no one like dear Audrey.  She was unique, special to me, my father and our family.  You do not meet a Christian lady who knew your father when he was a young boy; knew you as a young boy; and also knows your own young boy too.  I am thankful that both of my children were able to have a special relationship with our dear Audrey.  My wife and children loved her very much.

There are many stories that could be shared about Audrey, but I want to highlight one of them because it is so vitally important for our young people today.  When she first met her husband Virgil, he was not a Christian.  They dated and Virgil would come to church with Audrey.  Now Audrey had committed that she would not marry any man unless he was a Christian.  She really liked that Virgil!  One service Virgil heard a sermon he really did not like.  In fact, it made him angry to the point that Audrey did not know if he would ever come back to church.  She was very concerned because she really liked that Virgil, but she was not going to compromise the commitment she had made.  A few months passed, but Virgil would eventually decide to become a Christian.  Audrey told us “I was really worried because I really liked him, but I was not going to marry someone who was not a Christian.”  Virgil was a faithful Christian for several years and even served as an elder in the Lord’s church.  Young people, you should follow Audrey’s example because she realized that the best person to make a commitment in marriage to you is one who has first made their commitment to Christ.

Very few would I put in the same category that my dad reserved for his mother, but Audrey would be one. She was that virtuous woman of Proverbs 31, including this description—“Strength and honor are her clothing; she shall rejoice in time to come.  She opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness.”

When the congregation at Wadsworth needed a preacher, Audrey was very instrumental in encouraging the men to give me an opportunity.  Many people have helped me become a preacher. This is one lady who made such a reality by encouraging the congregation at Wadsworth to give me my first start in full time preaching. I heard her comment, “I cannot make the decision, but I can push.”  She sure could push!

Neither dad nor Audrey knew that they would be meeting each other in eternity so close together.   Dad dearly loved Audrey, and he loved to show that love by teasing her.  He loved to tell her, or have me tell her for him, “If you will stand up, I will give you a hug.”  She would give him a look as she stood there, but held out her hands for that hug!  I am confident dad is hugging her now.  They dearly loved one another, and I love and will miss them both.

Obituary:
Audrey V. Roth, 93, of Doylestown, died Saturday, January 10, 2015 at Barberton Citizen Hospital.

Friends may call Tuesday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Roberts Funeral Home-Sherwood Chapel, Wooster. Funeral services will be Wednesday, 11 a.m. at the funeral home with Evangelist Don Cooper officiating. Burial will be at Sherwood Memorial Gardens. Online tributes may be made at
www.RobertsFuneralHome.com. Memorial contributions may be made to the Wadsworth Church of Christ, 236 West Good Avenue, Wadsworth, OH 44281 or Hospice of Medina County, 5075 Windfall, Medina, Ohio 44256.

Audrey was born January 27, 1921 in Monroe County, Ohio to John and Henrietta {Bruny} Lengacher.

She graduated from Laings High School in 1940. She married C Virgil Roth on June 14, 1941.

She was a member of Wadsworth Church of Christ. She loved quilting, gardening, canning, her family and teaching Sunday school.

Audrey will be deeply missed by her children, Dale Roth of Doylestown, Keith (Nancy) Roth of Holmesville, Donna Roth of Charlotte, N.C., Alvin (Vickey) Roth of Marshallville; six grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren.

Audrey was preceded in death by her husband; brother, Paul Lengacher; sister Shirley Norris.
Published in Akron Beacon Journal on Jan. 12, 2015

No comments: